Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Contemplation on Death

I just had a relative pass away, I hadn’t spend a lot of time with him, but his death sadden me greatly.
It seem that those left behind suffer almost as much as those departed.  I really like the western way of celebrating one’s death rather than the traditional Indian way of endless mourning.  Andrew wanted everyone to go out and have drinks and celebrate his life if he ever passed away.

He was a scholar, a teacher, and a loving father of two kids with a passion for diversity.  A New Zealander but a professor of Sikh History Andrew Major knew more about Sikh History than most Sikhs would know including me.  Besides his contribution on books, articles and teaching he was a gem of a guy, always positive, always patient, always kind with his words.  He visited us last year, and I lugged him to get my kids school uniforms, it took 3 hours to get them, and we were so hungry, we had lunch about 3 pm, and he never complained once.

"he was a gem of a guy, always positive, always patient, always kind with his words"

Everyone will miss him.  My mum once said, coming and going is not in our hands.  What is in our hands is what we do in between and that is what matters.  Andrew contributed by his writing and teaching in Sikh and Indian History, for in history lies the gems of learning that the present and future can benefit from.

"coming and going is not in our hands. What is in our hands is what we do in between and that is what matters"

I wish I could be in his funeral this weekend, my thoughts are with his family and friends.  I will always remember and treasure him as a great friend and role model.

We will miss you Andrew Sad smile

Peace,

Kirpal


“Death is not extinguishing the light; it is only putting out the lamp because the dawn has come.” Rabindranath Tagore

No comments:

Post a Comment