Sunday, August 14, 2011

The Lion that thought it was a Sheep



We are born as lions, we die as sheep.  This is a story of one lion who rediscovered itself.

There once was a lion cub which was lost, and found some sheep.   The sheep raised the lion as one of them.  The lion forgot that it was a lion, and acted just like the sheep, until one day another lion came about.  The other lion said to "sheep lion", what are you doing?  You are just like me.

The "sheep lion" was afraid, and tried to run away.  The lion did not give up, and followed, he got hold of the sheep lion and said, ok, "lets look at our reflections in the pool of water on the other side of hukamba mountain", after that I will let you be.

The sheep lion agreed to leave the comfort of his current reality.  As they walked the Lion talked about their heritage, their ancestors, their strengths and their struggles, and their war with the Hyenas.  The sheep lion was inspired, and by the time they got to the water, the sheep lion was afraid no more.

They stood next to each other.  The sheep lion looked in the pool of water, and saw the resemblance to the other lion, they looked almost identical.  The other lion told him to drink the water, as the sheep lion drank the water, he flashed back 25 years ago, where he was in the exact same spot with the same lion next to him, only he was a cub.

He remember the lion saying "Son, I love you very much, we are very proud of you, always know that you are the king of the Jungle, don't ever forget that".  As this was happening, the lake was being ambushed by a bunch of hyenas.  Dad caught hold of me and flug me across into the water on the other side of the lake, then raced towards the advancing hyenas.   I remember being scared, running frantically until I found a place to rest.  When I woke up I was scared, and terrified, and did not know where I was, the sheeps found me and looked after me, slowly I forgot about my heritage"

He turned around and looked at his dad, tears wept down his cheeks, as he embraced him and said "Dad, I am so sorry I forgot, I just got too distracted, I got too comfortable, I got too lazy". Dad replied "I am just glad to have you back Son, you do will now value the Gift of being a Lion, as you are able to know what a lion is not, most Lions take this for granted, this is a valuable lesson, it will make you the best King there ever was".

Both lions went to the top of Mount Hakambu, and roared.  The whole jungle shook with fear, as they knew that a new King had arrived.

We find ourselves in a similar predicament with our lives.  We live our lives as "Sheeps", when we are really "Lions".

We know that there is something wrong, but we distract ourselves, until we are reminded through grace alone of the heritage we have as spiritual beings having the facility to express that spirituality on earth and exercising that infinite potential within us.  We are love, we are compassion, we are leaders, we have just forgotten it...

Somehow this journey is not wasted as only in ignorance, we can truly appreciate the gift of being Human, and rediscover who we really are, spiritual beings having a human experience, not human beings trying to have a spiritual experience.

Peace,

Kirpal

No comments:

Post a Comment