Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Reflections of the Snatam Kaur Concert




(On the video at 1.10 seconds look at the post in front of you, I am in yellow next to the post upstairs on the second row with my hands up)

As I reflect on the concert there are some thoughts that come to mind. There are many, but I list them down according to no specific order

The diversity of the crowd
First of all what struck me was the diversity of the crowd, there weren't that many Indian Sikhs, that struck me as odd, there were 3 indian Sikhs I saw in the crowd (1 related to me, the other who works with me, and another I met in a swimming pool last year with 3 gorgeous kids). I may have missed some, but as a habit I tend to observe more than the performers but the audience itself. What impressed me was the interest in the Sikh chants to a non-Sikh community.

I had a "qi gong buddy" with two fingertips missing (on his left hand) in the crowd who I recognized, he was an asian guy, but my God, he was really in trance state, doing flowing "qi gong" type movements and singing with his eyes close.  I hope he reads this post and sends me an email.

True Leadership
Having a strong interest in leadership.  I could not help notice Snatam's leadership qualities. Snatam did do a really good job in acknowledging each crew member and her family, giving a white rose to each one.  This is at the heart of true leadership.  They say actions speak louder than words, and true spirituality in action is really hard to find.

Anyone can be a singer, but not anyone can be a singer and have the upmost love, devotion and humility to the cause that reflects in every note that is sung.  Besides Snatam I was really impressed with Thomas on the keyboard and Ramesh on the tabla.

An embodiment of love
I had the good fortune of meeting Snatam after the concert, she was kind enough to give even more of herself after the concert. What to say about Snatam herself.  Well all I can say is that she is an embodiment of love, and an example for us to follow.  

They say the real test of a master is the quality of the students he/she leaves (If you want to see the quality of the master, look at the quality of the student), well I would say that Yogi Bhajan Ji has accomplished an unbelievable feat with the legacy and the quality of students that he has left (not just Snatam).  The treasures of Sikhism have been opened up to a new generation all together.  

The whole experience inspired me to write the poem "Voice of an Angel, heart of a Saint" the next day.

Peace,

Kirpal

No comments:

Post a Comment