Saturday, January 22, 2011

Eightfold Path of Yoga the Alchemist Philosopher's Stone

Picture kindly provided by Ariel Ophelia under Creative Commons 
I finally got a copy of Iyengar's Light on Life to read.  Reading this book inspires me with hope for oneself and the planet.

Iyengar cites himself as an example of how one can go with little to start with, including health to a person who can have health, knowledge, wisdom and also help the world at large in the process. Iyengar achieved his status predominately through his own effort, practice and exploration, with some guidance from his own teacher of course.

"Human Life has always had the same hardships, the same challenges, making a living raising a family and finding meaning and purpose (Iyenger page xiii)"

I agree, a family life is immensely demanding, balancing work, family and priorities for self health and growth is not easy.  I don't think one can do it without some aspect of true Yoga personally.

Yoga is the rock from which one gains strength to ride the roller coaster of life.

Yoga is not just physical asanas, it is much more than that, and totally universal regardless of country, religion etc.  All you need is already in you, however it is hidden under layers of kosas which are tainted with impure habits, thoughts and values.  To get to it you need to change and purify these layers or "kosas".  I realized long ago, how difficult this was, any change I found was short lived, and artificial, and I soon ran out of steam!

I believe the Eightfold Path of Yoga, a complete system of universal beliefs, values and daily discipline  is the "Philosopher's stone" capable of transforming degenerate human beings as base metal and turning them into real masters, into gold.  I know my own life would have taken a totally different path for the worst, had not I incorporated even a fraction of the Eightfold Path of Yoga.

I would like to close with a quote Iyengar uses from Patanjali in his book: "With this truth bearing light will begin a new life. Old unwanted impressions are discarded, and we are protected from the damaging effects of new experience"  (Yoga Sutras, Chapter I, Verse 50).


May this inner light already inside us shine through in its pure brilliance benefiting ourselves and everything around us.

Kirpal

Creative Commons License
This work by Kirpal Chauhan is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment